ESSENTIAL TRACE MINERALS
Chromium (25 mcg): AI for women ages 19-50 is 25 mcg
- Chromium enhances the action of insulin, the hormone that determines how your body uses and stores sugar or glucose.
- It is also directly involved in carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism itself.
Copper (900 mcg): RDA for women ages 19+ is 900 mcg
- Copper is needed for many physiologic processes like brain development, gene expression, and immune function.
- It is also involved in building blood vessels and connective tissue.
Iodine is needed to make the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). Thyroid hormones regulate many processes like protein synthesis, enzymatic activity, and metabolic activity.
Thyroid hormones also help develop the skeletal and central nervous systems. If your body does not get enough iodine, then your thyroid gland will enlarge and cause a goiter.
Iron (18 mg): RDA for women ages 19-50 is 18 mg
- Iron is mainly found in hemoglobin, a red blood cell protein that carries oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body. It is also found in myoglobin, which carries oxygen directly to muscles.
- Women need to pay attention to their iron levels more so than men because they lose iron during menstruation.
Manganese (1.8 mg): AI for women ages 19+ is 1.8 mg
- Manganese is a cofactor for many enzymes that take part in the metabolism of glucose, cholesterol, and amino acids.
- It is involved in reproduction, the immune response, and making bones. It also works with vitamin K for blood clotting.
Molybdenum (45 mcg): RDA for women ages 19+ is 45 mcg
- Molybdenum is used in cofactors that process genetic material and different proteins.
- It is also involved in breaking down toxins and drugs that enter your body.
Selenium (55 mcg): RDA for women ages 19+ is 55 mcg
- Selenium makes up selenoproteins, which play critical roles in the body. They help with reproduction, DNA production, and thyroid hormone metabolism.
- It also helps protect your body from infections and damage caused by free radicals.
Zinc (8 mg): RDA for women ages 19+ is 8 mg
- Zinc is required by about 100 different enzymes to work. It is needed by the immune system to defend against invaders as well as help wounds heal.
- It also plays a role in protein synthesis, DNA synthesis, cell division, taste, and smell.