ESSENTIAL TRACE MINERALS
CHROMIUM (35 MCG): AI FOR MEN AGES 19-50 IS 35 MCG
- Chromium enhances the action of insulin, the hormone that determines how your body uses and stores sugar or glucose.
- It is also directly involved in carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism itself.
COPPER (900 MCG): RDA FOR MEN AGES 19+ IS 900 MCG
- Copper is needed for many physiologic processes like brain development, gene expression, and immune function.
- It is also involved in building blood vessels and connective tissue.
IODINE (150 MCG): RDA FOR MEN AGES 19+ IS 150 MCG
- Iodine is needed to make the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). Thyroid hormones regulate many processes like protein synthesis, enzymatic activity, and metabolic activity.
- Thyroid hormones also help develop the skeletal and central nervous systems. If your body does not get enough iodine, then your thyroid gland will enlarge and cause a goiter.
MANGANESE (2.3 MG): AI FOR MEN AGES 19+ IS 2.3 MG
- Manganese is a cofactor for many enzymes that take part in the metabolism of glucose, cholesterol, and amino acids.
- It is involved in reproduction, the immune response, and making bones. It also works with vitamin K for blood clotting.
MOLYBDENUM (45 MCG): RDA FOR MEN AGES 19+ IS 45 MCG
- Molybdenum is used in cofactors that process genetic material and different proteins.
- It is also involved in breaking down toxins and drugs that enter your body.
SELENIUM (55 MCG): RDA FOR MEN AGES 19+ IS 55 MCG
- Selenium makes up selenoproteins, which play critical roles in the body. They help with reproduction, DNA production, and thyroid hormone metabolism.
- It also helps protect your body from infections and damage caused by free radicals.
ZINC (11 MG): RDA FOR MEN AGES 19+ IS 11 MG
- Zinc is required by about 100 different enzymes to work. It is needed by the immune system to defend against invaders as well as help wounds heal.
- It also plays a role in protein synthesis, DNA synthesis, cell division, taste, and smell.